Those of you thinking of updating to macOS Big Sur (11.0), fear not. The InqScribe 2.5 beta works great on macOS Big Sur. It will of course also continue running on macOS Catalina (10.15) and most older versions of macOS going back to 10.8.
While the 2.5 beta runs on Catalina and Big Sur, our current official release, version 2.2, will not. In other words, you will need to use the 2.5 beta if you want to run InqScribe on macOS Catalina or Big Sur.
For anyone new to the beta, version 2.5 is free to download and works with your existing InqScribe license. In addition to being compatible with Catalina and Big Sur, it brings a number of new features and improvements, including:
- Native spell check
- Sleek new design, in Retina-compatible high definition
- New, more versatile media engine
- More responsive, fully native text field
- Improved USB device management
- Option to restore a previous session’s document windows
- New “Mute” and “Skip Forward” shortcut commands
- Various bug fixes
What’s not included in this beta:
- Windows support. Currently, the 2.5 beta is limited to macOS, but we are working on a Windows version.
- The “Save Subtitled QuickTime Movie” feature. InqScribe 2.5 moves away from QuickTime as its media player in favor of a more modern counterpart. While this change brings a host of performance benefits, it means that saving custom subtitled QuickTime movies is no longer an option. Instead, you can use a variety of alternative methods to create subtitled movies, explained in further detail here.
Download the InqScribe 2.5 beta from our website here.
2022 Update: Since releasing our initial 2.5 Beta, we’ve added more improvements. These include:
- InqScribe is now a macOS Universal build with native support for Apple Silicon
- Support for the VEC Infinity 3 USB foot pedal
- Better support for multiple-monitor configurations
- More detailed error messages
- Various bug fixes and UI refinements
For a full list of features, please see the Public Beta Version History page.
If you have any questions about the 2.5 beta, feel free to email us at inqscribe.com/support.